How to make ice cream rolls is the question that we have been getting from our visitors in the past couple of months so we worked on modifying recipes to developed a method that will give the best ice cream rolls, or as close to the real thing as possible.
How Are Ice Cream Rolls Made Commercially?
Ice cream rolls also known as rolled ice cream or as it is originally referred as Stir-fried ice cream (I-Tim-Pad in Thai) is a lovely ice dessert carefully made by hand on a iced grill (Ice Cream Rolls Machine). The process starts by pouring milk on the iced grill after which other ingredients are added (fruits, Nutella, Oreo, Chocolate etc…) and mixed right on the surface of the iced grill. After the mix obtains consistency, it’s spread evenly across the surface of the iced grill and then scrapped from it using a paint scraper by rolling it towards the end of the iced grill.
Where Does This Technique Of Making Ice Cream Rolls Come From?
This ice cream making technique originated in Thailand in 2009 and started as a simple frozen desert made by mixing couple of ingredients and candy. Only few vendors existed at the time and was not popular yet. It started getting attention by the end of 2011 when it spread nation wide across Thailand and by 2012 in conquered the neighboring markets of Cambodia and Malaysia. It become globally known thanks to the internet and the viral videos posted on YouTube.
How To Make Ice Cream Rolls At Home?
We discovered couple of methods that you can use to make this delicious dessert at home but we only picked one. The criteria for picking the two best methods involves being less time consuming, using materials and tools that are available at any home or easily obtainable as well as expertise and time required.
Make sure that the pan’s height is low and it is very thin for the best freezing effect and to be accessible by a paint scrapper which is crucial for this method. This method is the most similar to the original thai method but it doesn’t involve the original ice cream rolls machine. Also, an important part in this method play the paint scrapers
- Start by mixing the milk, heavy cream, sugar, and salt straight into a large metal skillet or large cooking pan.
- Stir everything til it combines using a heat resistant spatula.
- Place the skillet on the stove over high heat and continue stirring til the milk gets hot and the sugar dissolves. If you don’t stir constantly the sugar will start burning on the bottom of the skillet.
- When the mixture starts boiling remove the skillet from the heat and let the mixture cool to room temperature.
- When the base will cool down, add the other ingredients you chose. You can choose from a variety of toppings such as sprinkles, Nutella, Oreo, fresh fruits, dry fruits and so on. (The more you add the harder it will be to roll at the end)
- Once you add them you can use the paint scrapers to chop them into small pieces to your preference. Chopping the ingredients up will improve the texture of the ice scream.
- After you get a combined mixture of all the ingredients you want in your ice cream, you should place the skillet leveled in a freezer for 4 hours. For this method to work you need to patient and follow the instructions because if you don’t freeze the ice cream enough it wont roll, you will just get cool dessert.
- Important: Before you take the skillet out of the freezer don’t forget to freeze the bowl you will use to store the rolls and the paint scrapers you will use to scrape and roll the ice cream into the freezer for at least 15-30 minutes. The rolls will be very thin so they will absorb heat very well and will start melting as soon as you make them so it’s crucial to serve them in cold dishes and use cold tools while you are scraping them.
- Important: After the freezing time has passed make sure you are ready to start scraping because this is something that needs to be done right after you remove the skillet from the freezer. Quickly scrape the ice cream into rolls by starting from one end at an angle and pushing carefully to the other end. If the ice cream doesn’t roll don’t panic, get a butter knife and help with the forming of the rolls.
- Get the frozen bowl out of your freezer and place each roll in your bowl for serving. You can top the rolls with whatever you choose. More fruit maybe or some caramel, some sprinkles maybe.