This Vegan Purple Sweet Potato Ice Cream Recipe is eggless, dairy-free, vegan, paleo-friendly, gluten-free, sugarless, high in anthocyanins, smooth and very creamy. The purple sweet potato might be difficult to find but you can always substitute it with the orange sweet potato we all know and love, it will still be very tasty. I recommend using maple syrup as a sweetener in this recipe because its the only really natural and healthy sweetener besides honey that you can consume. Before we start don’t forget that many of the ice cream maker models include a freezing bowl that you need to be in the freezer for at least 3-4 hours (or overnight) prior to the actual process of ice cream making.
Vegan Purple Sweet Potato Ice Cream Recipe
- 360 ml / 1½ cups coconut milk full-fat
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder*
- 60 ml / ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup purple sweet potato puree or ¾ cup chopped boiled purple sweet potatoes
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Optional 1 tbsp alcohol, such as vodka or gin**
Mix all the ingredients, except the vanilla and alcohol, together in a blender and mix until smooth.
Pour into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Once boiling, remove from the heat and whisk until smooth and thickened.
Stir in the vanilla and alcohol.
Pour into a container and chill for 3-4 hours or overnight.
Turn on the ice cream maker and pour the mixture into the frozen freezer bowl and let mix until thickened, about 25 minutes.
The ice cream will have a soft, creamy texture. If a firmer consistency is desired, transfer the ice cream to an airtight container and place in freezer for about 2 hours.
Remove from freezer about 15 minutes before serving.
- Arrowroot powder can be found in the baking aisle of the supermarket. You can also use tapioca flour or corn starch.
- The alcohol is to help keep the ice cream from freezing too hard.
Photo by Flickr/Rebecca Siegel